Brazil will host 2019 edition of Operation UNITAS, which is going to be conducted for 60th time, will be conducted at maritime area adjacent to Rio de Janerio of Brazil, between 19-30 August 2019.
UNITAS is the oldest multinational maritime exercise organized by the United States of America (USA), has been held since 1959, and has been in amphibious format since 2008. The main objective is to increase interoperability between the navies and strengthen the bonds of cooperation and friendship.
The UNITAS maritime simulation arises from the First Naval Conference held in Panama in 1959, within the framework of the Inter-American Treaty of Reciprocal Assistance (TIAR) and every year its headquarters alternates between the Atlantic, Pacific and Caribbean.
In the 2019 edition, the Operation will consist of a maritime stage (UNITAS LANT) integrated with an amphibious phase (UNITAS AMPHIBIOUS), which will include a simulation of humanitarian aid from an amphibious operation on Marambaia Island.
UNITAS 2019 will be attended by naval, aircraft, air and marine units. In addition to Brazil, media and delegations from Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, USA, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Peru and the United Kingdom will be present.
The schedule of the exercise as follows;
1. On August 19, at the Rio de Janeiro Naval Base:
09h00 – Opening Ceremony;
10h50 – Press Conference; and
11:25 am – Meeting with the Press.
2. During the port phase from 19 to 22 August, a series of pre-commission events will take place, such as: coordination meetings between the participating navies, civic-social action (COMREL / ACISO), among other activities;
3. During the sea phase, from August 22 to 30, exercises will be performed concerning the basic tasks of the Naval Power, including surface, air, electronic warfare and maritime interdiction operations. All exercises will take place in order to contribute to maintaining the level of training of the Squadron’s means and to increasing cooperation and closer friendships between MB and the other navies. From August 27 to 30, amphibious operations exercises will be performed on Marambaia Island;
4. On August 27th will be VIP and Media Day, when the Amphibious Landing Operation will take place on Marambaia Island (“D” Day), with the presence of authorities (to be confirmed); and
5. On August 30, the Closing Ceremony will be held at the Amphibious Division Command on Governor Island.
Participant Units :
– Multipurpose dock ship BAHIA (G-40)
– Frigates : CONSTITUTION (F-42), LIBERAL (F-43), RADEMAKER (F-49),
– Oceanic PAtrol Ship APA (P-121)
– Ocean Support Ship PURUS (G-152)
– Patrol Ship GUAPORE (P-45), Macae (P-70)
– Submarine TUPI (S-30)
– Super Cougar (UH-15); Seahawk (SH-16); Super Lynx (AH-11 A / B); Squirrel (UH-12); and Skyhawk (AF-1), in addition to Orion aircraft (P-3AM); Girl Scout Patrol (P-95); and Caracal (H-36), from the Brazilian Air Force.
– USS CARTER HALL Docking Ship (LSD-50) (with 15 Amphibious Assault Vehicles, 1 Landing Craft Utility)
– 1 P-8 Poseidon Marine and Anti – Submarine Patrol aircraft
– ARA Bahía San Blas Transport Ship
– ARA Almirante Brown Frigate
– 1 AS 555 Fennec aircraft
– The Corvette BAP Ferré
UNITAS LX – 19 will mobilize, in total, 10 Brazilian ships and 4 from other countries, several fixed and rotary wing aircraft, a Combined Exercise Scenario Control Group (CESCG), as well as ground support, accounting for More than 3000 military personnel involved.
Next year, Operation UNITAS 2020 will be hosted by Ecuador.